August 9, 2010

going G R E E N

I recently forced my husband to watch the documentary "No Impact Man". It chronicles a year in the life of writer, Colin Beavan, his wife and their daughter as they attempt to have zero impact on the environment. What's great about the documentary is the wife is reluctant to go 'no impact', though she is willing to do so in support of her husband and his "project". For her, it was difficult to give up electricity, toilet paper, cosmetics, and shopping. I thought it was refreshing to see her struggle with the desire for the things which are typically so easily accesible, yet she willingly gives them up for the sake of her husband's project. The other part that made the movie palletable was that they went no impact in stages. I won't ruin the movie completely, but they did not go no impact "COLD TURKEY". I think it was this part (the stages) that has encouraged me to make changes in my own life. So here is my plan... I"m going to share my minor attempts at going green on this blog. Mostly for accountability but also because there are some truly minor changes that can make a big difference for our environment now and for future generations.

Step One: Reduce junk mail.

Step Two: Use only re-useable bags for shopping.

I'll let you know how it goes!

4 comments:

Erin said...

Don't forget to wash your reusable bags. E. coli & other garbage can lurk!
Good luck!!

Are you planning on going all the way? No electricity or toilet paper? I'm having a hard time picturing it. Maybe I should watch the film.

Krista said...

Go Giselle! I can't wait to hear of your adventures once you get to the no electricity phase... ;) Oh, but you should keep the internet so you can write entertaining blog posts on how crazy life is without all this stuff.

G. said...

Ok,let me clarify. The Beavans went ZERO impact, I am just going to adjust my ways to REDUCE my impact on the environment, to REDUCE my carbon footprint. This will NOT entail foregoing the use of toilet paper or electricity. It will however entail drastically reducing my electricity usage. You can still feel confident about shaking my hand.

Julie Snell said...

I would love some tips on how to reduce jumk mail :)